We recently recieved a Barbie Dream Big Board Game.
As a huge fan of Barbie, a mom and an educator I was excited when I sat down with designer Janine Van Schalkwyk, a mom of 3, and listened to her inspirations behind this innovative new board game that is designed to encourage and empower our young girls to “Dream big” .
About the game
This Proudly South African career based board game, developed around the iconic Barbie brand, is designed for girls age 8 to 12 years old to encourage them to know that they can “Be Anthing”, just like Barbie.
To date Barbie, who started her career 60 years ago as a fashion model, has added over 200 careers to her resume. Representing a diverse number of careers from rock star to CEO.
The Barbie Dream Big Board Game encourage young girls to envision themselves in a future career path by emphasizing the brand’s core message that “YOU CAN BE ANYTHING” and equiping them with real – life insights that encourage the discussion of topics such as – individual identity, subject choices,study options, personal talents and business ethics.
What’s in your game
Each board game comprises of :
- A board game which unfolds and shows a diversity of Barbie faces, hair styles and skin colours.
- 8 free standing Barbie figurines, printed on styrene. Each figurine depicts Barbie in a different career path.
- A spinner, that clips together
- A pink timer
- 4 sets of cards representing different career paths.
How to play
The game is for 2 to 8 players. Whilst aimed at girls age 8 – 12 , younger girls could play with assistance.
A great family game and a wonderful resource in the modern day classroom.
Each player starts by choosing a figurine and takes a turn to spin the spinner in the centre of the flower on the board game.
The first person to land on pink starts the game.
The game continues clockwise and whatever colour the spinner stops on, that is the colour card you pick up.
The objective of the game, as you move around the board, is to answer the fun yt eeducational and challenging cards that have been divided into topics of :-
- Question cards – these are aimed at educating by building a child’s general knowledge.
- Action cards – these cards are interactive and will require your child to draw, or act out a specific scenario. Keep a pencil and paper handy. Your child will need to complete the task before the timer runs out.
- Problem cards – these cards encourage your child to think about ethical issues they may encounter in a real life work situation.
The cards are colour coded and focus on 4 career paths …
1. Business (teal) – focusing on age appropriate insight on how to build a business and brand.
2. Help and Service (yellow) – focusing on comunity building careers and inspiring girls to give back to their community.
3. STEM (purple) – focusing on exposing girls to a variety of role models in the often under represented career paths of Science, Tehnology, Engineering and Mathematics.
4. Creative (pink) – focusing on the creative opportunities in arts, performance art, fashion, interior design, cooking and baking.
The cards present challenging questions that will encourage your child to find answers, learn more and think outside the box whilst preparing our young girls for the tomorrow of their dreams.
Where to buy a Barbie Dream Big board game
Barbie Dream Big board game is currently available at retail outlets including Toys R Us, ToyKingdom, C.N.A, Checkers, Reader’s Warehouse and Takealot for R399.90.
Win your own Barbie Dream Big Board game
TO STAND A CHANCE TO WIN A COPY OF THE BARBIE DREAM BIG BOARD GAME
1. LIKE BOTH PAGES ON INSTAGRAM / FACEBOOK
2. HAVE YOUR CHILD DRAW THEIR DREAM CAREER.
( TAG @FUNMAMMASA ON FACEBOOK OR INSTAGRAM OR DM ME A PICTURE AND I WILL SHARE THIS TO MY STORIES)
3. TAG 3 MOMS WHO WOULD LOVE TO WIN
4. ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS:
a) Name one of types of cards on the Barbie Dream Big board game.
B) At which retailer can you purchase the Barbie Dream Big Board Game?