When my older kids were younger I would often whip up a batch or two of oat cookies to use as breakfast bars on the busy week days. When you are feeding a large family you need to get creative to stretch your budget and resources. These make a delicious treat to add to a lunch box or as an afternoon treat.
To make your own you will need:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 & 1/4 cup oats
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
1. In a large bowl add flour, coconut, oats, salt , cinnamon powder and bicarbonate of soda . Whisk well.
2. In a saucepan add butter , sugar and honey. Then put the saucepan on medium heat on the stove.
Stir until the butter is melted.
3. Let the mixture cool off for 5 minutes then pour it in the dry ingredients. Mix until a dough is formed.
4. Line the baking tray and transfer the dough, firmly press it down .
5. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 Degrees Celsius for 25-30 minutes.
Let it cool off . Then cut into squares .