The first time I ever heard about peroxide was when at 15, I wanted to dye my hair and a friend suggested we use peroxide.
So began many hours of me using peroxide to lighten the mousy brown that was once my natural colour.
I was fascinated to read of the many other benefits of peroxide and thought I would share them now, especially during the Covid-19 lockdown, as some of the uses are great for household sanitation.
Did you know?
Peroxide was first invented during WWI.
It was used to help cleanse the needs of troops and hospitals.
Other uses for peroxide
( Disclaimer: These helpful hints were all found on the Internet, use of any of these tips is at your own risk.
Do not ingest hydrogen peroxide!
Do not supplement this information for medical advice. Always consult a medical practitioner.)
1. Mouth wash -Take one capful of hydrogen peroxide and hold in your mouth for 10 minutes daily, then spit it out. No more canker sores. Use it instead of mouthwash.
2. Whiten teeth – as for mouth wash, take one cap of hydrogen peroxide and hold it in your mouth for 10 minutes daily, spit out.
3. Clean toothbrushes – Let your toothbrushes soak in cup of peroxide to keep them free of germs.
4. Kitchen cleaner – Clean your counters and table tops with peroxide to kill germs. Put a little on your cleaning cloth when you wipe, or spray it mixed 50/50 with water on the counters.
5. Kill salmonella -After rinsing off your wooden cutting boards, pour a little peroxide on them to kill salmonella and other bacteria.
6. Foot fungus – Treat foot fungus by spraying a 50/50 mixture of peroxide and water on them every night and let dry.
7. First aid -Soak any infections or cuts in 3% peroxide for five to 10 minutes several times a day.
8.Bathroom cleaner – Fill a spray bottle with a 50/50 mixture of peroxide and water and keep it in every bathroom to disinfect without harming your septic system.
9. For sinus– Tilt your head back and spray into your nostrils with a 50/50 peroxide and water mixture if you have a cold or plugged sinus. The peroxide will bubble and help to kill any bacteria. Hold for a few minutes, and then blow your nose into a tissue.
10. Toothache -If you have a toothache and cannot get to a dentist right away, put a capful of 3% peroxide into your mouth and hold it for 10 minutes several times a day. The pain will lessen greatly.
11. Hair dye – If you like a natural look to your hair, spray a 50/50 solution of peroxide and water onto your wet hair after a shower and comb it through. You will have a more natural highlights if your hair is a light brown, reddish, or dirty blonde. It also lightens gradually, so it’s not a drastic change.
12.Skin infection – Put half a bottle of peroxide in your bath to help get rid of boils, fungus, or other skin infections.
13. Laundry -You can add a cup of peroxide instead of bleach to a load of whites in your laundry to whiten them. If there is blood on clothing, pour it directly on the spot. Let it sit for a minute, then rub it and rinse with cold water. Repeat if necessary.
14.Mirrors – Uou can use peroxide to clean mirrors. There is no smearing.
15. Remove urine smell– If someone has peed on the floor around the toilet, and it’s begun to smell of urine, just put some peroxide in a spray bottle with water and spray. Wipe with a rag and your smell will ne gone.
This is one little brown bottle no home should be without!