With the current COVID-19 crisis and the enforced lock down in South Africa, the pressure is really on us parents to keep our kids fit and active at home.
But with so many other things to consider right now,fitting in physical activities can be quite overwhelming.
This being said, now more than ever, it is important to see our children happy and healthy. A large part of keeping your children both happy and healthy is to keep them enjoying physical activities.
Why is physical activity important?
Physical activity is vital to the healthy growth and development of children.
Physical activity ….
- Strengthens bones, muscles and joints
- Develops good posture
- Assists with balance
- Allows for optimal heart function
- Assists with mental health
- Acts as a stress reliever
- And allows for better focus
How do you exercise whilst in lockdown?
Worldwide many countries are only social distancing which still allows you the freedom to :
- Walk with your children
- Hike a trail
- Jog or run
- Go for evening bike rides
- Go swimming at the beach
- Go to the park
Here in Cape Town, with a full lock down and people only allowed as far as their own yards,these exercises are not options but you can still :
- Run races in the yard
- Climb trees
- Use a trampoline
- Ride bikes
- Play games like tag or stuck in the mud
- Go on a scavanger hunt
- Play sport games like cricket, soccer, rugby,netball or volleyball
For others even an outside game is impossible as their children are under lockdown in small flats.
How does a family continue to enjoy physical activity indoors?
Here are some ideas of indoor physical activities:
- Build an obstacle course using your dining room tables and couch cushions
- Play ball – bounce, roll or learn to catch a beach ball
- Use a skipping rope and jump rope
- Use tape to mark out a hopscotch on your kitchen tiles
- Hula hoop
- Host a dance party in the lounge
- Balloon juggling – blow up some balloons and have your child continue to knock the balloon to keep it up in the air
- Jog on the spot
- Try online fitness classes
- Do yoga for kids
- Complete an indoor scavanger hunt
- Play games like hide and go seek or farmer in the Dell
- Give your child a small step ladder to climb up and down
- Climb up and down stairs
- Play musical chairs
- Set up some indoor objects to go bowling
- Play Simon says
- Let them leopard crawl from room to room
Most importantly have fun and keep moving.