It’s raining in Cape town today and as the winter chill starts to waft in I thought I’d share one of my favourite soup recipes.
- 1 big butternut peeled and chopped into small pieces.
- 2 small onions roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1 litre water
- 1 cube chicken stock
- Half teaspoon nutmeg
- OPTIONAL: Less than half a teaspoon peri peri spice or cinnamon.
- A piece butter
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Fresh cream ( add according to your taste)
In a pot, add butter and a little olive oil, drop your onions, garlic, nutmeg and peri peri spice.
Let it fry for a minute.
Add butternut, water and chicken stock and bring to a boil. If water dries add a little more. The butternut must be soft.
Remove from stove and blend it with a stick blender until smooth.
Add cream and salt and pepper..