Hamish was sent a colorful tub of Klei Klei sensory rice to try a few weeks ago.This rainbow bowl of Happiness invites you to play with it’s multitude of safely dyed, non toxic colours.We have used coloured rice quite a bit in our sensory play and he was very eager to open the container and start playing.
What is sensory play ?
Sensory play is any activity that stimulates a child’s senses.The senses of touch, smell, taste, hearing, sight.Coloured rice can be used in stimulating these various senses.For example:
- For touch – the feel of rice on skin, hands, body and face.
- For hearing- the sound of falling rice through a funnel or off a scoop.
- For smell: by adding essential oils you can adjust the scent. Purple rice can be scented with lavender, brown with cinnamon, ect
- For sight : various colours
It’s important for children to discover new sensations and learn how to regulate the sensory inputs.
What is sensory rice?
Sensory rice is simply rice that has been dyed with a food colouring or non toxic paint to use in a container or tray to aid with sensory play.
How to use sensory rice
You can use your sensory rice in:
- A container
- A tray
- To scoop into baking trays
- With small toys
- With kitchen type toys for your child to “cook” with
- With themes for example we used hallowen bugs in ours but you could use small items to reiterate a school theme
- To hide letters and numbers or shapes for your child to find
- As a writing tray for your child to draw shapes in
- To glue onto art work for texture
The benefits of sensory rice
Rainbow rice is not just pretty but also has many benefits of play ….⭐Exploring and developing fine and gross motor skills
⭐Harnessing creative development through the sense of touch
⭐Free play means there are no boundaries and this fosters the imagination
⭐Developing communication and language skillsSensory play with an item like rice can also be a great alternative for children who do not like the texture of things like playdough or slime.For more information contact klei klei