This weekend we started our Covid-19 lockdown time capsules.
Why a time capsule ?
“A time capsule is a historic cache of goods or information, usually intended as direct methods of communication with future people ” according to Wikipedia
We are currently living through a period of history that our children will learn about in years to come.
I wanted to preserve a box of mementoes for Hamish to remember this time.
How to make a time capsule
To make a time capsule you will need a container that will preserve over time and a selection of items that would tell future people about you, your family and the year you make your time capsule.
- Metal boxes
- Coffee tons
- Glass bottles ( although these can break if buried)
- Little wooden suitcases
- Wooden boxes
- Cardboard boxes ( although these wont last as long as others if buried)
- Old ice cream tubs
What am I putting in our capsules?
- A letter to myself. This will include a few random facts about myself like like age, family, where we live, my occupation and how I’m feeling.
- Family photos
- A group photo of the family we are in lockdown and one of each of the other kids where they are in lockdown.
- A drawing by the kids of our family
- Newspaper headlines or printed social media updates that are relevant to preserve about the Coronavirus.
- An object to remember – for me this is a braclet with each of my childrens photos.
- A painted rainbow rock
- A copy of the Covid-19 time capsule printables by long creations
- Information about the Coronavirus
- A heart from his window
- A photo of his chalk my walk
- A photo of his teddy in the window
- A few of his artworks
- Some photos
- Two of his dinosaurs as those are his favourite toys
Other items to include
Our time capsule will only be completed after the lockdown as I want to add a small item from each of his siblings into the container.
Other items you could include are :
- USB with movies or music
- Items from nature
- Toys as these change with time
- Food items or sweets you enjoy ( but package these well in plastic)
- Handmade keepsakes
- Sports items
- Or something that represents a hobby.